so, we’re taking a break from my beloved lemony basil pesto for a minute (though honestly, it would probably be delicious here too…) but we’re still very much in sheet pan dinner mode. if something is easy, healthy, and delicious, i see no reason to change pans just so that my stockpot won’t feel lonely.
today it’s all about sheet pan salmon and cauliflower with spice rub. the simple spice rub is all we need to have a flavorful dinner on the table in 35 minutes. and when i say simple, i do mean it: this spice rub has just 3 ingredients (7 ingredients for the entire recipe, including the olive oil!).
in other words, this recipe couldn’t be much easier. chop the cauliflower into florets, combine a few pantry staple spices, sprinkle over the fish and vegetable. stick the pan in the oven, aaaand congratulate yourself on being done making dinner.
while you certainly could top this all off with some kind of sauce when it comes out of the oven (looking at you, lemony basil pesto!), you certainly don’t need to. the rosemary and smoked paprika contribute a lot of flavor without being overwhelming.
as far as leftovers go, as long as i eat the salmon the next day (or maximum the day after that, just because i’m still a little bit skittish around fish), the salmon and cauliflower make for a great start to a clean-out-the-fridge buddha bowl. protein and healthy fat plus veggies? i’m in!
especially if we get to top the whole thing with a spoonful of lemony basil pesto (i’ll stop soon, i promise. i mean, i won’t stop putting the pesto on all of my food, but i will mention it fewer than 3 times per post at some point in the near future. probably.)
alright, that’s what i have for you regarding sheet pan salmon and cauliflower with spice rub. easy, healthy, delicious, done.
ps – do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake: don’t use a silpat mat to cook fish. um, obviously. (mine still smells like fish…)
did you make this recipe? i’d love to know what you think of it! leave a comment below and share a picture on instagram with the hashtag #tastyseasons.
sheet pan salmon and cauliflower with spice rub is an easy weeknight dinner that comes together in 35 minutes with just 7 ingredients. mustard and just 3 pantry spices provide tons of flavor in this healthy recipe.
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried paprika (i love smoked but that's optional)
- 1 pound (454 g.) salmon fillets (i buy frozen)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 large head of cauliflower (~2 pounds / 907 g.), cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- position an oven rack in the top third of the oven. preheat the oven to 425° F. line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil (optional, makes for easier clean up. don't use a silpat like in the photos - mine still smells like fish).
- in a small bowl, combine the rosemary, thyme, and paprika.
- spread the salmon out on one side of the sheet pan (skin side down, if there is a skin side). coat the top side of each salmon fillet with the mustard. sprinkle half of the spice rub over the salmon.
- spread the cauliflower out in a single layer on the rest of the baking sheet. toss to coat with the olive oil and then the remaining spice rub.
- roast the cauliflower and vegetables for 17 - 20 minutes, or until the salmon fillets register 140° F in the thickest part. pierce the cauliflower stalk with a sharp knife. if it's not done to your desired level of tenderness yet, transfer the salmon to a plate, cover with another plate or foil (to keep warm), and put the cauliflower back in the oven for up to another 10 minutes. the cauliflower should be golden brown and the stalk should be easy to pierce with a sharp knife.
- serve immediately. i store leftovers separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator and make sure to eat the salmon within a day - 2 days max - because i get squeamish about leftover fish. leftover salmon and cauliflower make a great start to a clean-out-the-fridge buddha bowl. especially with lemony basil pesto.