this is definitely one of those summertime produce, less is more types of recipes. to be honest, i feel a little sheepish publishing a “recipe” for grilled zucchini and onions with mint and feta. i mean, there are only 5 ingredients, 4 of which are enumerated in the name of the recipe, but then i remembered that not everything has to be complicated.
i mean, i know it’s summer but we’re still busy: we have bottles of sunscreen to track down, ice cream cones to eat before the sprinkles drip onto our flip flops, and a wet, sandy towel or 27 that needs to be hung up to dry in the sun.
so we’re gonna keep this one simple, especially since the farmers’ markets and CSA shares are overflowing with delicious vegetables that need little to be amazing.
to wit, here zucchini and onions get a brief turn on the grill before being finished off with a hearty drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a liberal shower of mint and feta. that’s all. 5 ingredients, 15ish minutes, aaaand dinner.
oh, and assuming there are only two of you dining, you have leftovers to make quinoa with grilled zucchini (recipe coming on thursday!). that’s a solid foundation for 2 different meals in about 15 minutes.
which leaves plenty of time for hosing the sand off the beach toys, finding s’mores-worthy sticks, or drilling holes in the lid of the new firefly catching jar, you know, depending on what you have on your to do list for tonight… happy summer-ing, y’all.
- 4 medium zucchini, ends trimmed, cut lengthwise into 4 planks (6 planks if the zucchini are really fat)
- 2 onions, cut into ½” thick slices (and kept in discs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oz. (1/2 cup / 57 g.) feta, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons mint, thinly sliced
- preheat the grill and arrange it so that you’ll have indirect heat to cook the vegetables. we turn 2 of the 3 burners to high heat then put the veggies on the part of the grate that is NOT directly over the flames.
- brush a thin layer of the regular olive oil on all sides of the zucchini planks and onion discs.
- place the veggies on the grill (indirect heat) and cook for 4 – 5 minutes per side. (grill-safe tongs work best for flipping the onions, rather that trying to use a spatula.)
- once the zucchini and onions are softened and have some grill marks but aren’t yet singed unrecognizable, bring them in and put them on your serving platter. drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over them, then shower with mint and feta. serve hot or warm (these guys don’t mind waiting a little bit if you’re waiting for other items to come off the grill).
my husband and i ate 1 ½ zucchini and 2/3 of an onion with dinner one night and then i used the rest to make quinoa with grilled zucchini (recipe coming thursday!). if you are feeding a larger crowd and still want leftovers, adjust accordingly.